APARTMENTS NEAR SIENA, TUSCANY
COLLE DI VAL D'ELSA
DISTANCE FROM BORGO AL CERRO: ca 10 km (10 mins)
A bustling small town and the "Home of Lead-Crystal Glass", it merits more than one visit, especially the upper (old) town, given the fact it is so close to the Residence; the birthplace of the multi-talented medieval artist Arnolfo di Cambio.
- PALAZZO CAMPANA
- DUOMO (richly decorated interior; bronze CRUCIFIX by Giambologna, bronze LECTERN by Pietro Tacca, FONT, CHAPEL OF THE SACRED NAIL and important paintings)
- CHURCH OF SAN FRANCESCO, and SANTA MARIA IN CANONICA (church)
- ARCHEOLOGICAL MUSEUM
- CHURCH OF SANT’AGOSTINO (lower part of town)
- Throughout the year: theatre shows
- June: La Sagra della Miseria (in Piazza Santa Caterina - local traditional rustic cooking fair)
- Throughout the summer: cultural events, musical and artistic events
- First three weekends in September: lead-crystal glass fair with exhibitions of glassware from all the local lead-crystal glass firms
- September: Festa del Santo Chiodo with solemn blessing of the town and procession with important relic
- End of September: Sagra delle Regioni: gastronomic fair representing every region in Italy (traditional dishes) in Piazza Duomo
- October/November: Castagne e Vin Novo fair (roast chestnuts and red wine), in streets of old part of town
In the immediate environs of Colle, visit the SANTUARIO della MADONNA delle GRAZIE, at Le Grazie, on the outskirts of town, and the rural ABBAZIA DI CONEO (book first), a fine example of a Romanesque church. A visit to the town after dusk is recommended. You can shop for lead-crystal glass in the old part of town, or at the new OUTLET in the La Badia district, near the large factory CALP.
FINE FOOD AND WINE
Many restaurants, trattorias, pizzerias and wine shops, some of excellent quality.