APARTMENTS NEAR SIENA, TUSCANY
VISIT SAN GIMIGNANO
DISTANCE FROM BORGO AL CERRO: ca 20 km (20 mins)
The town still retains many of its original medieval towers, which make it a uniquely attractive and fascinating place to visit.
- PIAZZA DELLA CISTERNA
- PIAZZA DEL DUOMO - CATHEDRAL (works by Jacopo della Quercia and Domenico Ghirlandaio)
- PALAZZO DEL PODESTA
- LA ROCCA (Castle) (beautiful views over the Elsa valley)
- CHURCH OF SANT’AGOSTINO (frescoes by Benozzo Bozzoli)
- CIVIC MUSEUM-ART GALLERY with works by Tuscan artists from 14th/15th centuries
- February: carnival, with fancy dress parade and floats.
- Good Friday: procession of Santa Croce
- June/August: Summer in San Gimignano (operatic performances, classical music concerts, various shows).
Being very close to Borgo al Cerro, we advise guests to avoid the busiest times of day which, especially between April and October, can make it hard to visit the town in peace, which it richly deserves. The atmosphere at night is particularly special. A visit to San Gimignano combines very well with a visit to Colle di Val d’Elsa and the surrounding area.
FINE FOOD AND WINE
Especially during high season, we suggest that you don’t stay to eat in the town itself; it is better to eat in Colle di Val d'Elsa or in neighbouring parts (the countryside); they are usually less expensive and less crowded. Saffron has been cultivated in San Gimignano since the middle ages.
- Wines: Vernaccia di San Gimignano (white).