APARTMENTS NEAR SIENA, TUSCANY
DISTANCE FROM BORGO AL CERRO: ca 127 km (90 mins)
Arezzo is a busy, thriving centre of commerce and has important monuments in the historic heart of the city.
- CHIESA DI SAN FRANCESCO ("Legend of the Cross" cycle of frescoes by Piero della Francesca)
- PIEVE DI SANTA MARIA (one of finest examples of Romanesque architecture in Tuscany, restored in 19th century).
- End August: international polyphonic competition
- Last Sunday in August and first Sunday in September: "Giostra del Saracino" (historical competition)
- First weekend in every month: antiques market; perhaps most important market in Tuscany, held in streets and squares of historic centre.
Unless you have a specific interest in the city, we advise you to combine a visit to Arezzo with a visit to CORTONA (the two cities are about 34 km apart), or else go there when the antiques market is on (the first weekend in every month; it’s one of the largest and best-stocked markets in Tuscany). Given the distance, you are advised to plan to be out for the whole day.
FINE FOOD AND WINE
Pappardelle sulla lepre (home-made pasta with hare sauce), roast meats, game, “Chianina” steak, pizza bread, and Pan di Ramerino (sweet-bread with raisins and rosemary)
- Wines: Chianti Colli Aretini (DOC) and Bianco della Valdichiana (white wine).