APARTMENTS NEAR SIENA, TUSCANY
DISTANCE FROM BORGO AL CERRO: ca 30 km (30 mins)
An important tourist destination in the province of Pisa, it still has traces of its glorious, centuries-old history.
- PIAZZA DEI PRIORI
- PALAZZO DEI PRIORI (13th century)
- DUOMO (im Inneren bedeutende Kunstwerke) (important artworks inside) and BAPTISTERY (font by Sansovino).
- ROMAN THEATRE.
- FORTRESS (a prison ever since it was built in 15th century)
- ETRUSCAN ARCH
- ETRUSCAN MUSEUM (Guarnacci Museum)
- LE BALZE (area with strikingly steep slopes and panoramic views, formed by slow erosion).
- July: Volterra Teatro (theatre season at Roman theatre)
- First Sunday in September: Astiludio-Gioco delle Bandiere (flag display in historic costume)
- Third Sunday in September: Fiera degli Uccelli (country fair)
A quick visit can also be combined with a one-day trip to the coast (Cecina-Castagneto Carducci – San Vincenzo/Populonia) but given the importance of the town, we always suggest a longer visit. Shop for locally-made ALABASTER goods at the several shops in the town centre.
FINE FOOD AND WINE
A large number of restaurants, trattorias, pizzerias and wine shops, some of them of excellent quality.